It's time to stop messing around and get serious about losing the weight. The time is now
and I am the person who has to do the work.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

I Ran the Hood 2011 / Well, I Walked the Hood


It was a sunny but chilly morning in northwest Indiana on Saturday. It was the perfect day to "Run the 'Hood" sponsored by the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans with some family and a friend. We started out a bigger group, but we got smaller as the day approached. My son-in-law ran early so he could watch the grand kids and my daughter could walk with us. Another daughter ended up having to work and a friend wound up sick and her husband wasn't walking without her. These misfortunes took us down to a team of five.....my husband, two daughters, a friend and me. It was all good.
We all started arriving a little before 10:00. That is Mari and Sarah making their way across the parking lot. We decided to walk at Coffee Creek Watershed Preserve. I thought the colors would be pretty this time of year. With the hurricane force winds we had earlier in the week, a lot of the color was gone, but some of it stayed around for us.


Some of us had to finish our breakfast. Abby is going to kill me for this picture.


Dick made fun of the fact that last week he was a Vickie's Chickie at the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk and now he was in the Sisterhood. Good thing the poor guy is secure in his masculinity.


Mari got things ready with her Run Keeper.


So off we went. It was starting to warm up a little and the views were lovely. There was still some color to see. I love the water feature in the pond and there are lots of little bridges






Mari and I took the lead with Dick, Sarah and Abby bringing up the rear. That didn't last terribly long. Mari is really a runner and she walks really fast. I kept taking pictures and getting further behind her. It was at the first water hazard that she left me in the dust.


This is the point in the story when it gets fun or should I say funny. Dick is now beginning to leave the girls and I in the dust. They are too nice to leave their mom and I keep slowing down to take pictures. I slowed down to take the picture below and tripped on a tree root and fell. All I could think about was "save the camera" and if you know me at all, you know that I love my Nikon D3000. I would never let anything happen to that camera. So good camera mommy that I am, I held the camera up and I fell. Much to my surprise, I popped right back up. Just a few scratches on my left calf and off we went. We tried to go around water hazard number 2, but it was wet all the way across. Now we had wet shoes and socks, but at least it had warmed up by then.

Before Dick left us, he said that anytime we came to a fork on the trail, we should go right. So...we came to our first fork on the trail and we turned right. Bad move! We started walking and went on for a bit and as we walked the path became less and less a path. More like matted down leaves. Abby is bringing up the rear saying that if we meet up with Bambi she is going to scream. Below is a picture of Sarah saying "Why did we listen to dad, this cannot be the right way!".

This is the part where we added an extra one mile to our walk. We turned around and headed back to the fork where we made the wrong choice. We finally get back there and we go left. We go over some more bridges and a few more water hazard's and we finally see the parking lot. Dick and Mari are waiting for us. Dick has water bottles for us and the girls tell him that he was so wrong. I tell him I fell and he says he's not surprised. I have done this before. Some of us are just fallers. Mari says she ran the last mile and a half and Dick says he's been back for about 15 minutes.

Here's my team when we finally were all reunited. Nobody was around so I could get a picture of all five of us. My time was 56:02. Not that bad when you consider we walked an extra mile. That was confirmed by my Fitbit that said I had walked 4.2 miles.


Nine weeks ago I said that I was going to run this race. I came to my senses a few weeks ago. I gave all the reasons I gave up the C25K program here. I was totally okay with walking this race today. I had some awesome one on one time with two of my daughters. Sarah is the one with the three grand kids and we almost never have a time to talk like that without the little darlings chiming in.


It was a perfect day, fall and all. If we have this race again next year, I'll be doing it and trying to recruit a bigger team. I hope you all had as much fun as I did.


p.s. I woke up this morning and went to stretch like I always do and OWWWW. My left hip and upper arm hurt. Guess I didn't quite bounce back like I thought. As I am typing this tonight, my hip doesn't hurt anymore and my arm is still sore. I'll be fine!

6 comments:

  1. I love the team shot but would love it even more if YOU were in it. Great job on the 4+!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a chance to see a chiropractor I highly recommend it. After a fall of any kind I always go get an adjustment. He gets me feeling like new again!

    Sounds like you had a wonderful time despite the waterr hazards and fall. You can't beat time with your kids no matter their ages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place to walk! Sorry about the tumble :( but I'm glad you are relatively unscathed.

    Great job on your 5k - you did fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the 5K, I mean 6.75K. ( I did the math because I am a nerd). Way to get up and keep walking after the fall! Oh, and I've saved my camera more than once before saving myself so I know how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful walk!

    You are so funny, I do the same thing with my camera. Or coffee. Or beer. ;p HAH!

    Great job to you and your family and for Dick being a Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy... I LOVE your re-cap! You had me laughing and "uh-oh-ing" with your fall and your camera. I can also just hear your girls with the wrong turn! You did awesome and with a smile and wonderful, wonderful outlook... as always! Congrats, beautiful lady! xo

    ReplyDelete