It's time to stop messing around and get serious about losing the weight. The time is now
and I am the person who has to do the work.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Burst into Summer / Week 10




Burst into Summer challenge yes, but this post is so not about the challenge. It is so not about the challenge that I am writing it on Tuesday night. I'll pop in the loss or gain in the morning. This post is more about me and how I feel lately. About what I'm learning about myself and where I'm going with this knowledge.

It's no secret that I have had a very lax summer. Exercise has been almost nonexistent. I blamed it on the heat and not having air conditioning. I did lose some weight. I think that was because of the heat too. It certainly wasn't because I was feverishly working out! I kept telling myself that I would get back to working out, but it just wasn't happening. Fact of the matter is I had gotten lazy.

My first little lightening bolt hit awhile back when I found out about the virtual 5k going big time. This is the first year that I am a writer for Shrinking Jeans and I thought I should maybe put my all into this race and think about running the whole thing. But wow, the thought of hauling this jumbo size backside out for a 3.1 mile run was a little daunting. So I kind of put that idea on the back burner.

Bolt #2 came last week when the 5k was announced at the Sisterhood. People were excited and talking about doing the Couch to 5k program. I started to think about doing it too and even started telling people that maybe I would do this. The problem was, I wasn't convinced that I could do it. I've walked two half marathons and more 5k's than I can count. But...I have never run an entire race from start to finish. I've walked / jogged a few, but never ran a whole race.

The third and final bolt came on Monday. It was the Back to School Ice Cream Social. I spent at least 30 minutes in my bedroom rummaging through my closet and trying on clothes. I'm pretty sure I hadn't worn a dress all summer. Imagine my surprise when I realized that every dress and skirt I had looked like total crap on me. At best I looked five months pregnant. I sat down and cried. How in the hell did I let this happen again? How could I let all the work I did last winter be for nothing? I pulled myself together and I put on the best of the worst dresses ever and went to school.

I came home and made myself a tall old faithful (Bacardi and diet). I sat down with that and a paper and pen. I started making a list of pros and cons to doing the c25k program. When I got done, I had way more cons than pros. What that did was make me mad because cons are nothing more than excuses. I decided right then and there that I am done with excuses. Look where excuses got me! At that point, I kept list making, but it was a very different kind of list. I formulated a plan of attack, so to speak.

Tuesday morning I got up and did Week 1 Day 1 of the C25K program. I downloaded the app on my phone and off I went. Let me tell you it was hard. I never knew that 60 seconds could seem like an hour, but it can. I didn't let that fact stop me though. I huffed and I puffed and I blew day one down. Tuesday night I did the tworkout. We did a new exercise called a jump squat and that would have liked to kill me too, but I didn't let it. It hurt, but I kept on going.

Tuesday night, I was also on Facebook chatting with my instructor from boot camp. She was telling me about the new classes that were going to be starting back up the day after Labor Day. It's only going to be two nights a week, but I'm excited. She said she has many classes that she is going to rotate through and we won't know what we are doing until we get there. She said there will be zumba, pi-yo, boot camp and kick boxing to name a few. She also encouraged me to do the c25k. She even offered to run with me at my pace. I would never do that to her. This lady runs marathons and does tri's for heavens sake. It was very sweet of her to offer though.

I know you are just dying for this post to be over and for me to tell you what I learned. Well...here it is! As I was attempting to run those 60 second intervals , I kept thinking "what would happen if I just stopped and didn't do it?" That's when it hit me. It would be like every other time I said I was going to take care of this weight and fitness stuff and fizzled out. I'd be a quitter and damn it, I'm done being a quitter.

You are probably just as sick of hearing me say I was going to do this as I am. But I swear to you all right now, I am going to do this. If I get on here and whine about how hard it is, feel free to reach through that monitor and smack the crap out me. I will totally deserve it. I'm guessing that another Exposed Movement will be coming again in October. I would really like to look better than I did in the last picture.

So yeah, that's my post. I'll pop in my loss or gain in the morning and post this beauty. In the meantime, I have to get to bed. School starts in the morning and I have to be up in six and a half hours. And God help me, I don't have a clue what I am wearing.

One last thing...don't you want to Run the Hood with me? You can you know. Just click on the link and sign up. It's going to be fun with t shirts and medals. Go ahead. Join the fun.



P.S. It's Wednesday morning and I am down .6 pounds!


7 comments:

  1. Oh boy, did you write this one for me? I have floated through several challenges. I am just now exercising - with a week left. Oh boy!

    I'd love to do the 5K run, but I told myself I would exercise for 90 days, then start the C25K program.

    I can't do it all! (I can barely commit to a walk in the park!)

    Go, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the idea of the 5K run, but the reality is - I hate running. I tried doing the C25K, and I just don't get that endorphin rush that everyone talks about. I'd rather bike ride 10 miles than run 3.

    Good luck with it. Just keep reminding yourself, no excuses!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you. I have been so lazy this summer with no excuses since it rarely gets above 80 in San Diego.

    We can do this 5K thing....one wog at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you. You are going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, you are a ROCK STAR!! Just think how many women your age will sit down on the couch and say, "screw it, I've been fat this long and I'm still alive. Why bother?" Instead of doing that you are working hard, signing up to do things you have never done before and pushing yourself to be a better happier woman! You ROCK!! And together we will accomplish our goals!! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could have written this post myself! ;p We will do this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nanci, I'm just now reading this and I have tears welling up in my eyes. I am so proud of you for taking a leap of faith and just going for it. Whether you run or run/walk the 5K, you will be a success. I love you girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete