It's time to stop messing around and get serious about losing the weight. The time is now
and I am the person who has to do the work.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Exposed

Until last night on Twitter, I had never heard of the Exposed movement. Some of my sisters from the Sisterhood were talking about it and how they were going to do it. The premise of the whole movement is to post pictures of yourself and tell the world why you love yourself. To say that you love your body and all the wonderful things it can do. They were discussing if they were going to do it in underwear or bikini. I laughed. At that point, I wasn't even considering doing this. Even if I was, I don't have any cute underwear sets and I haven't owned a bikini in more years than I care to count. After lots of tweets, I went to bed.



I didn't think about it again until I got home from work today. That was when I watched Melissa's vlog about the new challenges for this week for Shrinkvivor. Now I have never been one to step back from a challenge. I have tried everything the sisters have thrown at me. So I did some thinking. Do I want my fear of "exposing" myself to the world make me a quitter?



It's 24 hours from the start of this whole thing and I'm back on Twitter. The girls are all talking about there posts and pictures and I'm starting to feel guilty. If they can do this, what the hell am I so afraid of? It can't be that somebody might think I'm fat because I already know that is true. So I just said screw it and put on a sports bra and exercise shorts and got the camera.



After lots of thought and reflection, here is what I decided about my body.



This body has given me life for almost 56 years. It is not in it's best shape, but that is a work in progress. My stomache is soft and squishy, but it carried five babies in it. Four of those babies were full term and once they came two at a time. It was streched to it's limits and has the scares to prove it. But it's getting stronger all the time and can do 50 sit ups at a time now.

These arms can hug, comfort, lift weights, do push ups, cook, clean, write, type, cuddle and love on my grandkids.

These legs have walked two mini marathons. They can dance up a storm. They never fail to get me where I need to be. And when I really push them, they try to run.

Here is the bottom line. I may not be what I want to be
right now, but I am beautiful. I am a great wife and mother. I am a totally awesome grandma. I am a daughter, sister, friend and teacher. This body lets me do pretty much everything I want to do. This body and me are pretty damn awesome and when we post this next year, we'll be even better.

Now comes the really hard part....can I hit publish post?






26 comments:

  1. OMG, Nancy, your post made me cry. I am so stinkin' proud of you- SO STINKIN' proud. YOU ARE ALL of those things you mentioned but you are so much more- brave, strong, genuine, kind and awesome. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, I am so proud of you! You were so hesitant last night on twitter. My body will never carry more than the three kids I currently have, but I hope my body is as strong as yours in a *few* years when I am a grandma. (I can't do 50 situps!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nancy, I am choking back tears, at your words and your bravery. Wow. You are incredible inside and OUT.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy you're beautiful! That was such a wonderful post and I'm so proud of you for fighting your fears to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, my dear beautiful friend, I wish I could reach through this monitor and get a great big hug with your strong, beautiful arms. This is the most moving and lovely post... one for all women to read. Your body DOES tell the story of your life... how you live it and how you love it. I am so very happy you pushed PUBLISH. You are a great inspiration AND a beautiful woman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, I am so proud of you for stepping up to this challenge and showing us all what a beautiful, awesome woman you are. I love you, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of all the Exposed posts I have read, yours is the one that made me cry! You are beautiful and amazing. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy, you made me cry, too! That was beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing with us. When I am a Gramma, you are exactly the kind I want to be! The kind that loves life and meets it head on. I think you summed it up for all of us with this line: " I may not be what I want to be
    right now, but I am beautiful. " Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a strong, beautiful woman you are! I just wandered in and wanted to tell you that you are not only beautiful, but very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Nancy. I'm so glad you joined in on the fun. You are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm crying. What a beautiful post. I'm so proud of you!!! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Nancy. I am so incredibly proud of you. SO PROUD. You're right - you have never backed down from a challenge, and that makes you the best Sister in the entire world.

    You are beautiful. Your heart, soul, mind, and body. You are AMAZING, and I am so glad you're part of my life.

    And yes, I'm crying. Gee thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nancy! I hadn't visited before, but I'm checking out the Sisters' "exposed" posts, and I love yours! You are one beautiful, healthy lady!

    I loved this line especially: "This body and me are pretty damn awesome and when we post this next year, we'll be even better." Amen to that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post so much because it is so REAL. You ARE beautiful and a strong Women and SHOULD be very proud of yourself. Love Love Love your spirit and determination to live a healthy life in an awesome body God gave you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my *tears* *ugly cry*

    This just is so beautiful and you have such a wonderful body because it's yours and it was made by god!
    Thank you for sharing! It's very inspiring.

    http://justthe6ofus.net/wordpress/?p=7093

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Nancy, I am so, so glad you hit publish! You are such a beautiful woman and good for you for embracing your body and all that it has done and is doing for you!

    Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nancy, I'm in awe! What a great post and how incredibly beautiful you are. I have not been able to embrace myself the way you have embraced and appreciated yourself. You truly are an evolved member of the Sisterhood and an inspiration to newer-comers like me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nancy, I just found your post after it being linked by someone else. I am so sorry I didn't see it earlier.

    I LOVE that you're celebrating your body and honouring it. That is just so inspiring. Thank you for being part of the exposed movement!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sooooooo proud of you!!! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did it! You did it!! Nancy, I am so, SO proud of you!! You're beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. *big hugs* i'm so glad you joined in. you know what makes you amazing? you realize - and own it - what a great wife/mother/grandmother you are!! that's the most important part of life - how you treat those you love.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sooo glad you hit publish, Nancy! It helped to convince me that I could hit publish, too! You are indeed beautiful and you have had many opportunities to embrace it!! Love your descriptions of the things your body can and has done!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Way to go for posting this (I totally chicken' out)! .... I have TWINS too! :-)

    ReplyDelete